Saturday, June 23, 2018

When I Was a Little Girl

When I was a little girl
I would sit at my window sill
I’d stare in the distance at the swaying trees
Until the breeze stood still


I wondered what was beyond the sky
Far beyond my neighbor’s home
My imagination went much further
Than I could ever roam


I always dreamed of far off lands
Places I could not see
Somehow I just knew they were there
Waiting just for me


I have no doubt of what I want
And who I want to be
I have this gift that I just know
Some innate philosophy


What’s in my mind and in my heart
Have gathered in a thought
Have told me that I once was here
It’s this moment I have sought


I can’t escape this moment in time
It has me in its grip
It’s pouring down like heavens rain
And I have to take a sip


It’s causing me to feel a way
I have never felt before
Some magic spell or special key
Has unlocked some hidden door


I don’t have to hope or yearn or pray
No longer wonder what’s beyond that hill
For I have now seen those far off places
Where I went and got my fill


So much has changed from a little girl
That place that I once stood
All that’s left from that window sill
Are just splinters from the past just wood


That little girl of long ago
Was just waiting to be free
That little girl is still inside
Not a distant memory


I still look out like all those years ago
But too tall for the windowsill
That breeze is still blowing
And I know it always will


When I was a little girl
I dreamed of what I’d be
When I was a little girl
I dreamed I would be me

No comments: